Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Cultural Activity Journalo: Casa Mila


While in Barcelona I visited many museums, my favorite was Casa Mila also known as (La Pedrera). Casa Mila is an apartment that was built by Antoni Gaudi and was officially completed in 1912. The museum is situated on Passeig de Gracia, just up the street from Plaza Catalunya. There is another Guadi museum, Casa Batlo; however, I found Casa Mila to be much more interesting. I went on Friday January 22nd with three of my roommates, Conor, John, and Casey. We were lucky to have gone on that Friday because it was blue skies and the sun was warm. The main thing that we all wanted to see was the chimneys on top of the apartment. As we entered the rooftop I was amazed at the artistic capabilities that Gaudi had. The structures of the chimneys’ were amazing yet very bizarre. This was the first time I had ever seen something like this, there are not many structures this strange in California. We were there for nearly 2 hours but I could have stayed up there the whole day because the weather was so incredibly nice. After visiting the rooftop we went down to see the apartment that Gaudi built for himself. This was also amazing also because even though all the architecture was older it was very modern for when he built it. The bathroom was made of all white stone, (marble I think). The kitchen was woods and looked a lot older than the other parts in the house. I was also surprised to hear that people still live in the apartments, and I thought to myself that they must pay a fortune. After we ended our tour with Casa Mila I appreciated Gaudi a lot more not just as an architect but also as an artist. I appreciate Casa Mila so much that I would like to visit it one more time before I go back to California.

No comments:

Post a Comment